Which small companies can keep open in Tier Four Lockdown?
Originally written by Timothy Adler about small business
Small businesses that have to close in Tier 4
- non-essential retail trade, including clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms (other than for rental), betting shops, tailors, tobacco and vape stores, electronic goods and cell phone stores, auction houses (other than auctions of livestock or farm equipment), and market stalls where non-essential goods are sold. The above business premises can continue to offer click-and-collect services (where goods are pre-ordered and picked up outside of the business premises) and delivery services.
- Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty, tanning and nail salons. Tattoo studios, spas, massage parlors, body and skin piercing services must also be closed. These services should not be performed in other people’s homes.
- Restaurants such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs – apart from the fact that they offer take-away (until 11 p.m.), click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery.
- Accommodation including hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites, except in certain circumstances. Visit the government website for more information.
- Leisure and sports facilities such as leisure centers and indoor fitness studios, indoor pools, indoor sports fields, indoor fitness and dance studios, indoor equestrian centers and indoor climbing walls.
- Entertainment venues such as theaters, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, ice rinks, go-karting venues, indoor game and soft play centers and areas (including inflatable parks and trampoline centers), circuses, Exhibition centers, fairs, zoos and other animal attractions, water parks and theme parks.
- Indoor attractions at locations such as botanical gardens, historic homes, and landmarks must also be closed, although the outdoor area of these premises may remain open.
> See also: How to move your pub or restaurant from takeaway and delivery
Small businesses that can open in Tier 4
Other companies and venues are allowed to remain open according to the COVID-19 Secure guidelines. This includes those who provide essential goods and services, including:
- essential retail stores including grocery stores, pharmacies, garden centers, builders and suppliers of building products and off-licenses.
- Market stalls selling major retail stores may also remain open.
- Companies that provide repair services can also remain open where they primarily provide repair services.
- Petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair and MOT services, bike shops and taxi and vehicle rentals.
- short term lenders and money transfer companies
- Laundromats and dry cleaners
- medical and dental services
- Veterinarians and pet shops
- Animal rescue centers, boarding schools, and zookeepers (can still be used for animal welfare purposes and not for aesthetic purposes)
- Agricultural products shops
- Shops to support mobility and disability
- Storage and distribution facilities
- Parking lots, public toilets and motorway service stations
- Golf courses
- Archery / driving / shooting ranges (outdoors)
- Outdoor equestrian centers
- Crematoriums and burial sites
How to reopen your small business after being blocked – what we know so far
Which small businesses can stay open in Tier 4 Lockdown?